Saturday, April 14, 2007

Opening statements

So I've been wanting to blog now for at least the past year, but a couple things have held me back:
  1. What blogging platform should I use? I mean, I'm technically inclined, so the hacker in me wants to just go for the most customizable, hacky, fun-to-play-with tool available. On the other hand, if I'm going to blog -- and I mean, just get motivated and write -- it has to be easy, or I just won't do it. Either that, or I'll write one line, start playing with features/layout/etc... and before I know it, I'll have wasted an hour with 8 words to show for it. "Easy" is a factor here, so after confirming that I could indeed post via email, I went with Blogger. It looks good, it's simple, and I can setup an account and JUST GO.
  2. For some reason which I didn't fully understand myself, I realized recently that I felt that I couldn't start blogging at a time in my life when something really big was happening . Maybe it's because I would thenceforth doubt the foundation upon which I'd built my blogging. Some wind of general boredom would gust into my life, and my breathless blog would just dry up and wither; or I'd start looking for crises to post about, just to keep things interesting. Or, I'd just whine -- that's always entertaining... for the writer, anyway.
But what finally tipped the scales for me was hearing that my friend and blogging-veteran Angel decided to move to another state. So now, apart from email, this is the best way to keep in touch. I've gotten motivated. And besides, nothing really big was happening.

2 comments:

Legionwriter said...

YES! I have cajoled (sp?) Zack into blogging. His genius will be displayed to all of us with nothing better to do!
PS- I like what you said about making sure you don't let your blogging career start on the basis of a major event. It is classic Zack logic, and makes a ton of sense.
May the blogs be with you...

Angel said...

Wow, I didn't know I was so influential. I knew I stayed friends with you for over 16 years for some reason. :)